Mission Accomplished - Now What?

Wow, what a season it has been...

The 2021 No Bull Crossfit Games Open looked VERY different this year from years past. It also felt completely different for me as well. For the first time, in 9 years, I was not officially a member of a CrossFit Affiliated Box to partake in the fun of The Open. Not only that, but we are still in the middle of a pandemic. While there is a "light at the end of the tunnel," the risk of COVID is certainly still out there and the safety of my child and myself are my main concern. Lucky for me, I am still a huge fan of CrossFit 696, my amazing Coach and the beautiful family that I have come to be a part of over the years and was able to join in on the fun with the Friday morning crew over there for the three weeks of "suffering" brought on by the Open.

This year with CrossFit's new ownership, Eric Rosa and Dave Castro brought their A Game! The Open (oops, I still owe you that post with the history lesson), is a World Wide competition that is inclusive of all athletes. There are divisions for all ages and abilities, for those with varying levels of equipment (for COVID restrictions) and for this year, for the first time... adaptive athletes (including those with upper and lower extremity restrictions, wheelchair athletes, as well as vision, neuromuscular and intellectual impairments). When someone says "ANYONE" can participate in this competition... they are not kidding! 

Let me try to sum up The Open in a few sentences. Any athlete creates an account and profile on The CrossFit Games website, they pay the fee and then appear on the Leaderboard of their choosing. This year there were more than 246,000 men and women registered around the world. For three consecutive weeks, on a Thursday night, Dave Castro (Director if the CrossFit Games), announced a workout world wide via the internet. That workout then needed to be completed and submitted on line before a set time the following Monday. The workouts have to be judged, timed and confirmed by a certified judge and affiliate manager... OR submitted by video with the score submission to be validated. There are standards that have to be met in order for a score to count whether in person or on video to assure a level playing field. Athletes can perform the workout more than once, if they want... but must only submit one score. The leaderboards are separated by division, Rx (which is as written), Scaled, Foundations or Equipment Free, as well as age grouping. 

The next phase (new this year) is the Quarterfinals. The top 10% of the Rx Division for both males and females on each Continent move on to compete in another weekend (actually starting this weekend) of competition. They will compete in a number of workouts (likely 5) that have to be judged, videoed, validated and submitted by the Monday following the announcement. The top 30 men and top 30 women will advance to The Games. 

For us "old folk," in the masters (35+ year old athletes), there is also a change to this years format. Following the results of The Open, the top 10% of men and top 10% of women in each Masters Age Category in THE WORLD proceed directly to the "Age Group On Line Qualifier." This will be similar in style to the Quarterfinals, in which a number of workouts will be announced (likely 5) that have to be judged, videoed, validated and submitted by the Monday following the announcement. The top 20 men and top 20 women in each age category will advance to The Games. 

Phew... ok... now onto the good stuff. 

The energy that surrounds The Open is something that is indescribable. As it is, when you take a group of CrossFitters and put them in a room and "challenge" them to do something... all bets are off. They WILL accept, they WILL fight and usually, they WILL succeed... or they wont stop trying until they do.  Take those same athletes and put them on the competition floor... that fight grows exponentially and it really feels like there is nothing that cant be done. 

I am a "seasoned veteran" when it comes to The Open... but every single year, I get butterflies in my stomach. Watching the drive and determination of athletes of all abilities gets my blood flowing. I love to see someone get their first pullup, or string together toes to bar for the first time. The look on someone's face when they lift a weight they have been shooting for, and finally, with the adrenaline rush that comes with competition... they get it... its just so awesome. I love the feeling of people watching as I compete, and the nerves that rise up right before the clock starts. That drive to lay it all on the line and push to my maximum limit, its intoxicating. 

This past year has certainly had its challenges. We have all had to learn a new way of life. As mentioned in a previous post, my "ME" time was not something I was willing to let go of... I had a goal. I couldn't release it. I would not let The Open pass by without fighting to hold on to my goal...

... and I reached it. 

At the conclusion of The Open the leaderboard stated I finished:

  • WORLDWIDE WOMEN (of all ages) - 7,890 of 108,646...................top 7%
  • WOMEN IN NORTH AMERICA (of all ages) - 4,602 of 65,572........top 7%
  • WOMEN IN THE WORLD (ages 40-44) - 610 of 14,685...................top 5%
I could not be more proud of myself. My invitation to the North America Quarterfinals sealed the deal.



I will be declining the invitation to the Quarterfinals, as I want to focus and train on for the Age Group On Line Qualifier (which is the first weekend in May).  

Words can no even express how thankful I am for my training partner and best friend, Mare. Her friendship, encouragement and push while training through this last year of insanity has been the constant that keeps my head straight. There is no possible way I would have been able to do this without her... Also, Bogo and her ability to calm my nerves. Tell me that I can and WILL do it... being there to push my running, force me to work on my dubs and of course... test all the latest products then convince me to buy them. Certainly not last, but, my Hubs and his meal planning and dealing with all the ups and downs of my emotions... that deserves a lot of credit. Coach Cali, you always know what to say to get me to move my ass... "how bad do you want it?" To EVERYONE who supports me, for all who were at the gym cheering on The Open WODs. I dont even know how to say Thank You enough. I promise to lay it all out there, as I always do to prove how much your support means. 

Here are some photos and videos of The 2021 Open... Enjoy! 








Bar Muscle Ups - Always a Challenge for Me

180# Complex 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rain Rain Go Away

The Cape

Comfy Clothes